Recently i was trying to delete/Remove one of the old computer groups under WSUS Console – Computers – All Computers. This Group was an old group with no members/Clients or any pending approvals any more. I tried removing it from the GUI by Right licking the object and Delete but the server hanged and i got connection error as shown below.
- Make Sure to take a backup from your WSUS server and WSUS DB.
- Use SQL Management Studio to connect to Windows internal database \.pipeMSSQL$Microsoft##SSEEsqlquery
- We will mainly remove the old records from tbtargetgroupand tbflattenedtargetgroup tables
- Run “select * from tbtargetgroup” to get the list of groups.
- Identify the TargetGroupID of one of the groups that you want to delete
- Run delete from tbflattenedtargetgroup where TargetGroupID = ‘<TargetGroupID for the group which is to be removed>’
- Run delete from tbdeployment where targetgroupid = ‘<Previous step ID>’
- Run delete from tbtargetgroup where TargetGroupID = ‘<Previous same ID>’